According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons’ 2015 Plastic Surgery Statistics Report…
- Breast augmentation continues to be the top cosmetic surgical procedure and has been since 2006.
- In 2015, surgeries totaled 279,143 in the U.S., which is up 31% from 2000
As an incredibly common surgical procedure, breast augmentation is a popular choice for women who want to increase the fullness and projection of their breasts, improve the balance of their figure and enhance their self-image and confidence.
If you are considering breast implants but have been inconclusive about your final decision, take an in-depth look at what to expect. The trusted staff at Hiers Plastic Surgery has compiled some beneficial notes to prepare you for surgery as well as a few tips on managing expectations.
ARE YOU A BREAST AUGMENTATION CANDIDATE?
- You will receive a 30-minute initial personalized consultation.
- Augmentation of the breasts can be achieved using either silicone or saline implants to increase the fullness and shape of the bust – you will discuss with Dr. Hiers which option is right for you.
- You will be able to try on a variety of sizes to see what looks good on you.
- Any questions you have will be answered during this time. Look over this FDA provided list of questions that may help guide your discussion.
- Be sure this decision is your own and that you are doing it for your own well being.
- Hiers uses one of two incision types during breast augmentation: an incision made under the crease of the breast or an incision made around the areola. In most cases, the breast implant you want to use will dictate the best incision type. Dr. Hiers will explain the differences between the two incisions and make a recommendation.
- The surgery itself typically takes one hour to complete. During the procedure, you will receive general anesthesia. An incision will be made and the breast implant will be placed wither behind the breast tissue or beneath the pectoral muscle.
- Incisions are closed using sutures, surgical tape or skin adhesive.
- The results of your breast augmentation surgery will be immediately visible and will continue to improve as swelling after your surgery diminishes.
- As with any surgery, you can expect some pain, swelling, bruising and tenderness.
- Minimal physical activity is required for 3 to 7 days, but you will be able to return to most of your normal activities within 6 weeks.
- After surgery, your bust will appear more youthful, balanced, and fuller, based upon your final choice of implant size and placement.
Breast augmentation is a major step for most women, and often a positive one. Studies have shown that breast implants can help boost self-esteem, body image and sexual satisfaction.
Body image issues can be emotionally painful for some and may be interwoven with breast augmentation. Dr. Hiers is focused on treating patients that want to feel better about themselves with realistic expectations about what surgery can provide.
After weighing the options, if you choose to have breast augmentation surgery, be sure to select a board certified surgeon with extensive experience performing breast augmentation surgeries. Dr. Hiers has been practicing plastic surgery for 29 years, is board certified and prides herself on providing quality, custom care for her patients.
Hiers Plastic Surgery offers a variety of cosmetic procedures for our clientele. Interested in learning more? Contact us today.
Comments are closed.